Wednesday, December 24, 2008

It's a Wonderful Life ...all warm and cozy! Merry Christmas!

THE MAGICAL DUST OF CHRISTMAS GLITTERED ON THE CHEEKS OF HUMANITY EVER SO BRIEFLY, REMINDING US OF WHAT IS WORTH HAVING AND WHAT WE WERE INTENDED TO BE! ~ Max Lucado

I am anxiously awaiting tonight. As a child, Christmas Eve was my absolute favorite time of the season. I could hardly contain my excitement long enough to go to sleep, much to my parents' dismay, I'm sure. I loved everything about Christmas. I wanted to list a few of my favorite things about Christmas, when I was growing up:

1. My great grandmother's wooden bowl, passed down from generation to generation, filled with nuts & oranges (and nutcrackers). It was always placed on the coffee table in front of our fireplace. The house was filled with the smell of spice and oranges ....so seasonal!!!
2. My older siblings' chatter and "hype" about Santa Claus and his elves, escalating my joy and anticipation, and of course, decorating the tree.
3. The smell from the kitchen, as my mom cooked her little heart out during the holidays (and her candy)!!
4. The way my parents would let me pile up a ton of different foods to leave out for Santa (ham roll-ups, potato chips, cookies, and the occasional pickle :) ... with milk, of course.
5. The Christmas Box! This is a little box that looks like a wrapped gift, and it chimes a multitude of different Christmas songs. I have it now, and I still love it.
6. The lights ...glistening from every direction, as we drove home everyday from Grenada to Coffeeville. I also loved my Grandmother Claudia's life-sized Santa on her front porch!
7. Believe it or not, my daycare. My childhood daycare went all out and it truly looked like a gingerbread house during Christmas, complete with HUGE wrapped lollipops lining the sidewalk.
8. The sounds of the season on the radio (including my childhood favorite, Alvin and The Chipmunks)! The Christmas Song is my favorite, followed by Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. I always thought that Merry Little Christmas was written for our family, since not a one of us is over 5'9" ... even on a good day!
9. Packing up and going to both grandparents on Christmas day and seeing the whole family come together and celebrate, on both sides.
10. Rounding the corner into the formal living room, on Christmas morning. You couldn't have asked for a more "Christmas-sy" room: fireplace, hardwood flooring, live tree in the corner (that my mom let me help decorate). Everyone crowded around to see what Santa had brought me. The year I got my bedroom suite and roller skates was fantastic, by the way, Mom and Dad.


My parents made absolutely sure that Christmas was just about perfect, every year. The allowed me (and encouraged me) to use my imagination. They encouraged me to believe! They also stressed that Christmas was Jesus's birthday. I cannot remember a holiday, ever, that we did not bow our heads and thank God for giving us his son and for allowing us all to be forgiven, with the chance to live forever. Well, I still feel the same way, even after all these years. Christmas is just magical! There is also a warm feeling in knowing that all the world is at peace on Christmas, even if it is just a notion (especially in this day and age).

Tonight, I will wait until the girls are safely tucked in and asleep. I will begin working like a busy little bee, retrieving Christmas presents from all the "nooks" that I've hidden them in (provided I REMEMBER where I've put everything). I will place everything strategically under and around the tree, continuing the age-old traditions that we all have grown to love. I will go to bed late and get up super early .... waiting to see the light in Caroline and Anabelle's eyes when they see what Santa brought them. I will be worn out on Christmas night, when I climb into bed, and I won't mind a bit. I will be "warm and cozy" in my heart, knowing that I was able to provide a wonderful Christmas, complete with perfect memories for their little minds to process, store and love remembering ...for years to come.

"For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given, and he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." ~ Isaiah 9:6

Thank you, God, for sending your only son so that we may have eternal life.
Happy Birthday, Jesus!

From our "warm & cozy" to your "warm and cozy,"
Melanie and The Girls ....It's a Wonderful Life!

2 comments:

Dawn E said...

What a great post! I'm so very excited too! May your new year be filled with all the great gifts He's eagerly awaiting to lay out before you! Merry Christmas!

Amanda White said...

You guys are the best... it's so funny because so much that you did growing up, we did too! My grandmother had "the bowl" filled with nuts, in shell, and old silver nutcrackers. Made me smile!

Have a very MeRrY ChRiSTmaS!!!

Amanda