Thursday, December 4, 2008

GOD NEVER FAILS!!!!

We got the results back from the MRI, and it confirmed the original, formal diagonsis that Dr. Collette Parker had given us. The diagnosis did confirm that Anabelle has Cerebral Palsy. I do want to offer an explanation ...and my reason for doing this is to help others understand this, the way I do. Also, I've received so many questions about her mental state/cognition/language (and eventual classroom placement), that I wanted to offer everyone (family and friends) some peace. I say this to reassure you that while I'm not taking the diagnosis lightly ....I KNOW, WITHOUT A DOUBT, THAT IT COULD BE MUCH WORSE!!!!! Cerebral Palsy is NOT a life sentence. A battle of a child's will & might vs. muscle spasticity, DEFINITELY!

As you know, preemies have traumatic births. If a preemie's birth wasn't, in some form, traumatic, the birth would've been full-term. More times than not, unfortunately, the preemie is deprived of oxygen (hypoxia) for a duration. And because their brain matter is still forming, when the brain is lacking oxygen, then the matter (white or gray) doesn't get the supply it should. When this happens, it causes the matter that hasn't fully formed (in many cases) to die, which in turn, produces cerebral palsy.

We did find out that Anabelle's damage is called Periventricular Leukomalacia (PVL). While there are varying forms of PVL, I praise God the results that we've received. The general damage to children with PVL is in the white matter in the motor cortex. This damage can cause some widespread deficits, but in Anabelle's case, the damage was found to be POSTERIOR to the motor cortex, which affects motor planning associated with sitting, crawling, walking, etc. due to spasticity and tone in muscles. THE GOOD NEWS is that, undoubtedly, the damage is in the motor area only. So, cognition/language/memory/ability to learn/intelligence should not be affected, to our knowledge OR up to this point.

Here is a diagram and a little about the area where Anabelle's hypoxia occurred: (Anabelle's damage is in the last part of the blue area).



Here is a brief description of the areas you just viewed and their function:

Frontal Lobe - Front part of the brain; involved in planning, organizing, problem solving, selective attention, personality and a variety of "higher cognitive functions" including behavior and emotions.

The anterior (front) portion of the frontal lobe is called the prefrontal cortex. It is very important for the "higher cognitive functions" and the determination of the personality. This area controls memory, attentiveness, ability to concentrate, behavior, learning new information, inhibition (appropriate social behavior), as well as emotions.

The posterior (back) of the frontal lobe consists of the premotor and motor areas. Nerve cells that produce movement are located in the motor areas. The premotor areas serve to modify movements. (THIS IS WHERE ANABELLE'S DAMAGE IS.)

No doubt, God is GOOD ....ALL THE TIME!!!! I praise HIM for the diagnosis we were given. My daugther has CP. Do I wish her muscles were strong? YES. She may have trouble sitting, crawling and walking ...then again, she may crawl and walk just fine. She will endure many, many hours of therapy, and face ups and downs. Think about this: she's already been through many, many hours of therapy and she's already faced ups and downs. COME ON ...she made it out of NICU. Anabelle doesn't know anything but SPUNK and FIGHT and WILL POWER ...so, in my opinion, Anabelle Hodges has already won the battle! Now, on to the war against those muscles.

I do ask that you lift us up in prayer. Tell everyone you know to pray for Anabelle. Pray for healing and strengthening of weak muscles and pray for her continued "fight" to get stronger. Anabelle's therapists need prayer, too ....because they deserve for us to pray that God keep His hands on them while they treat our babies, just as He blessed them with the knowledge they needed to become therapists. Anabelle has miraculous potential, and I will push her in every way. There is no reason for anyone to sell her short. As her Papa says, "God just IS NOT finished with Anabelle yet."

Remember this, God says that He will not fail us. Period. God doesn't fail. He didn't fail when He made her; Anabelle is JUST PERFECT in every way ...and I praise HIM for the little bundle of "perfectness" that He gave me (for my TWO bundles of perfectness that he gave me). End of story.

Jer 29:11 (NIV) "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

God Never Fails,
Melanie and Her Bundles of Perfectness

5 comments:

Dawn E said...

Praying here!You did a fantastic job of explaining her diagnosis. I blogged about Anabelle to request prayer from my family and friends.

The Vickers Family said...

I'm reading and praying often. Can't wait to hear about more Annabelle miracles : )We'll be cheering her on! By the way, I love the new picture at the top!

Anna said...

I love your blog....it has been great for me to catch up with you! I also love your attitude! It is contagious and such a blessing to everyone who reads your blog! You are an awesome Mom! I will pray for Anabelle and your family...What a joy your girls must be!

Anonymous said...

Hi,Melanie,
I thought I had lost your blog because of some computer probs. I've had,but I just found it.I sat with tears in my eyes over your explanation of your precious angel's diagnosis~not tears of sadness,but tears of joy that you know Who is in control,and Who will never fail you~or your girls.I have a feeling from all I've read about Miss Anabelle that she has alot of her Grandma Carol in her,and that spunkiness is going to see her go flying thru what ever hurdles she faces.You all have my prayers. Thanks for keeping us informed and for sharing your life with us.Your girls are just beautiful.
love,
Betty Brister

aimee said...

Melanie, what wonderful little girls have! Your precious little ones are so lucky to have you as their mom..you and your Anabelle are in my prayers!