My membranes ruptured on June 30th, and they didn't take Anabelle right away b/c their goal was to get enough steroids in my body to build Anabelle's lungs. Anabelle was born the next morning via emergency c-section. I can remember praying over and over, pleading with God that Anabelle be safe and at least weigh 4 lbs. I don't know why the 4 lb. thing was a big deal to me, but I knew she would drop weight in NICU ...so 4 lbs. didn't seem like to much to ask !!!
So, as I was receiving the anesthesia, I prayed as I was drifting off for God to please put his steady hand on the OBGYN that delivered Anabelle, as well as the whole staff and NICU team ....to please place my baby in the best care. I should've known that she already was in THE BEST CARE. You know, a mother feels helpless when she can't control what is happening with her own body, which may or may not cause her baby harm. That was really my first "reality check" lesson in submitting to God's will. So, it was God's will that Anabelle Katherine Hodges come early ....and come early she did. Anabelle weighed 3 lbs. and 10 oz. and she was 18" in length ...and covered in dark hair :)!!!
When I came to, my sweet daddy was holding my hand, weeping. We both wept ...for so many reasons. And then, I decided that I would need my pain pump, immediately :) !!!I remember asking my dad if Anabelle was ok, and he couldn't even talk - just shook his head "yes" with big tears in his eyes. So, once I was coherent enough to ask specific questions (like WHAT was going on with Anabelle, WHAT her Apgar scores were and WHO she looked like), my sister said, "She looks like Caroline, only smaller ....and don't worry, she had a team of about 8 people surrounding her down the hall."
I was allowed to meet my new baby girl for the FIRST TIME that afternoon, around 4 p.m.! I could not touch her, but I could put my hand on her (and I couldn't rub or pat her) ....DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD THAT IS? YOU WANT TO HOLD YOUR BABY, LOVE ON HER ....but you can't! She didn't care ....she was snoozing on the 'cooker' (warming pad) .....all cozy.
Nothing in this world ever prepared me for the little person I met that day; so much fight and spunk that God filled Anabelle with. Yet, she is the most peaceful baby I've ever known (with the exception of the occasional temper tantrum). When I was finally allowed to hold her, everytime I did, her vitals would shoot to perfect ranges!! Anabelle didn't gain weight quickly enough, so it took a little longer for her to make the weight needed to "blow NICU," but her vitals, oxygen saturation levels, etc. were always great. No apnea. She was anemic and required a blood transfusion, but her NICU stay was pretty uneventful ....by the grace of God. Anabelle was discharged from NICU 34 days after entering this world - a full month before she should've even been here. She weighed 4 lbs. and 12 oz ...and she was all MINE to hold, rock and love!!! Well, GOD'S ...then MINE! I've often said that being in the same room as AnaB feels like the Holy Spirit is all around you.
In 24 months, we've been so filled with joy, tears, colic, "papies", "doggone-its", gas bubbles, "awww mans", "I love you Mommy, Mommy I love you's", "I love you, Caroliney's", "come here's", "why's", "I'm a country boy's" ... we will all come together again, as families do, to celebrate our "littlest" blessing: Anabelle Katherine and her 2nd Birthday!!! Such a little girl with such a BIG WILL !!!! As always, our house will be packed with all the people we love the most and our hearts will be full! AND WE WILL GIVE THANKS TO OUR LORD, ONCE AGAIN, FOR BLESSING OUR FAMILY WITH SUCH A PEACEFUL WARRIOR!!!!
The Preemie's Prayer
Dear God, as you look down upon us,
We know that you might have to squint.
We're located here in the NICU:
It's the nursery that we rent.
There are many alarms and sirens,
Connected to condos and flats.
The nurses tape our booties on,
And dress us in funny hats.
We have a lot in common;
All of us were in a hurry.
For many different reasons,
Our storks came a little early.
Some of us don't know why,
We bursted out from our bubbles.
We entered into this world,
Never meaning to cause any troubles.
Our mommies are worried sick
About the odds that we must beat.
Please God, help them to realize,
That seeing us grow is a treat.
Breath by breath, we'll learn to breathe.
Ounce by ounce we'll tip the scale.
We're like a boat in the ocean,
That knows not sink- only sail.
For we are living miracles,
And Mommy must simply believe,
That you have angels watching over us;
From the time we arrive, till the time we leave.
~Author Unknown
Happy 2nd Birthday, AnaB !!!!
Happiness to you,
Melanie, Caroline and The Peaceful Warrior
THEN:



ANABELLE AT ONE YEAR:

AND NOW:
























1 comment:
Sweet sweet Annabelle! God has a reason for your life and you are here for a purpose! As your mommy tells me, us "chosen" mommies are so blessed to have such "chosen" children! What a little inspiration you are! Happy 2nd Birthday beautiful girl!
Amanda, Addie, and our little Angel Bailey
Post a Comment