Thursday, January 15, 2009

Just what are you trying to tell me?

Hello!

I recently deleted my blog, on accident. I spent the better part of 2 days trying to retrieve it. I did. I'm back. Here we go ....

Every Monday through Friday, I drive from Grenada into Water Valley, for work. Since my parents keep Anabelle during the day, I only take Caroline with me to The Valley. Once in Water Valley and on the way to Caroline's daycare, I pass First Baptist Church everyday, located on Main Street. If you're familiar with Water Valley, you know that First Baptist is located, directly, in "the fork in the road." You can't go straight; you have to choose to go right or left. The fork in the road & the direction you choose to take makes all the difference in the world, geographically speaking.

THE FORK IN THE ROAD. What do you think about that? I automatically relate this to the many forks in the road of my life. So many seasons in my life that absolutely ended at the fork in the road. I had to choose. Left or right? I had the God-given right to choose which direction, but I just couldn't go straight. Not only was straight not an option, but straight would've been too easy; a decision that required no thought at all. Most of my life has been consumed by trying to make a straight path through forks in the road .... a straight path that just was NOT MEANT TO BE. I was trying to control, instead of handing over control. To keep going straight would've meant that I would've kept going NOWHERE ... because only the left turn or the right turn would take me where I was destined to go. Only the left turn or the right turn could get me to where God planned for me to be. Have you ever known that you were just where God wanted you? Have you ever had the peace in knowing that you were right where you were supposed to be? I do. I'm supposed to be here. The forks in my road led me here. I'm fulfilling my destiny. I have a purpose in "coming home," and little by little, God reveals that purpose with each passing day.

The fork in the road? What does that mean to you? To me, it means that you MUST make a decision; you have to choose. No surprise to you, I'm sure, as I'd bet you already know that. What is significant to me about this particular "fork in the road," is that First Baptist Church changes the message on their sign out front, at least twice a month. More times than not, the message is a catalyst for my thoughts and prayers. As of late, the message has remained the same, as if to make sure HE gets HIS point across to me.

Daily, I pass the sign and I read the message. It touches the depths of my heart every single time I see it. Do you believe in "signs"? I do. I believe, fully in my heart, in signs. Signs that God places in my path ... to remind me that HE knows exactly where I've been and where I'm headed. And even though I'm not sure of where I'm going ... HE ALWAYS KNOWS. HE'S AWLAYS KNOWN. WHEN I WAS CREATED, HE KNEW THEN ....AND HE KNOWS NOW!!!! Ironically, the poignant passage poses the perfect question to start a new year. A new year stirs new beginnings. God wants me to assess and reassess my life: my goals, my purpose, my beliefs. Is this another Fork in The Road? The passage is more special than most of First Baptist's postings because of the hope and vulnerability it imparts. It's a question that many people probably don't think to ask themselves, yearly, let alone daily. What question, you ask? I'll share the passage with you. Ponder it. I will blog later about my thoughts, prayers and feelings regarding this simple message. A message, that I dare say, has changed my whole perspective.

ACTS 22:10 "WHAT AM I TO DO, LORD?"

Here I am. What am I to do, Lord?

Happy New Year,
Melanie

2 comments:

bettyb said...

Hi,Melanie,
I just "re-found"your blog and have been getting caught up on you and your precious girls.How beautiful they are! LOVE the Christmas pics. This post was amazing and certainly a lesson we can all take to heart.Thanks for sharing your life with us,and know that I'll be praying for all of you.Tell Carol hello; I miss seeing her.
love,
Betty (Brister)

Anonymous said...

I'm the clown that came to town but not to sign your blog upside down; but rather to simply just say, I miss you my sweet Melanie in the most terrible way. I was here today because God led me here to your blog and must be working on you and me in some of the same ways as of late ...our church banner this week has been "Signs...seen any lately?" I never pondered on it until today. After being terrified to call in yet again today with a sick child, I was most shocked to hear an extremely concerned tone on the other end of the line and most happy to assist me with my secretarial duties while I was out. Something I haven't EVER experienced. Then after reading this particular blog, it dawned on me: this is a sign that God is listening to my pleas to fill Allen's heart with his love, keep him at peace within himself, etc...(all the same usually goes for my own hubbie) and even if it's only for today, God touched Allen's heart enough to not be so worried about phones being answered as he was more concerned with sweet Kateen and Biskit. Anywho, I just want you to know that I have never cried happy tears...not even on my wedding day or the day of my sweet girls births...but for some reason I am filled with delight to the point that tears are streaming down as I write to you for the simple fact that I know now that God hears my cries/pleas to him...its just that some of my pleas are not in His will for me...at least not right now if there ever will be.
I love you with all that I have in my big ol heart to give!!!!!!!!!